Monday, December 19, 2011

Good Things

So, bear with  me.  This post has almost nothing to do with weight  loss, weight training, cardio, diet or fitness.  But, stand by.  My trainer has promised me a great diet plan to help me jump start my weight loss again (I'm slimming down, but the scale isn't moving) and I promise to share it with you if you promise to read this post that is a bit more touchy-feely than my usual.  Pinky promise.

Sometimes I think that personal trainers must feel a lot like bartenders.  Although they're paid for their expertise and the services that they can provide, they're probably often called upon to serve as mini therapists.  Or maybe I'm the only one who creates ridiculously close relationships with people at the drop of a hat and probably shares entirely too much about my personal and professional lives within an abnormally short period of time.  But, really, are you surprised?  Surely not.

Over the last three months, I've gotten to know my trainer and he's gotten to know me (except he didn't know how much older I am than he is until just last night, but that's another long and sad story... I digress.) and we've talked about a lot of various facets of our lives.  He knows my current relationship status (somehow I'd like to convince him to personally change that...), he knows what I do for a living, he knows where I work, where I live, where I grew up, what I drive...  We're pretty much kindred spirits.

So, when things at work starting going not-so-fun over the last few weeks, obviously, my trainer was aware, even so much as to say moderately informed.  I kept the boring and office-specific details to a minimum, but he got the gist.  Usually, he'd start the conversation with "How are you?, how's work?," to which I'd respond with "Eh, it's okay."  Last night, I lead with "Today was stupid."  We've definitely gotten to the place where he can recognize variances in my responses (for example, when I lift weights, I keep my swearing to a minimum if it's just basically uncomfortable.  If I use a particular, rather heavy duty swear word, he knows that I'm in actual pain).  He recognized this variance.  I'm usually a very positive person, but every now and then, I need some time to dump out all the garbage, and poor Michael got the brunt of that dump.

We talked for a while while I was working on my back muscles (in a total G-rated way), which is much harder than you'd think.  He listened, encouraged me to express my opinions to those within positions of authority and go to bat for myself.  He told me that he could tell I was gaining confidence and should use that to my advantage.  I appreciated that and we kind of moved on to another conversation.  But, a few minutes later, he interrupted my generalized professional complaint by telling me that he knew that good things were going to happen to me out of this; that so many people in his life had had good things happen to them lately and he knew the same thing was going to happen for me.  He had no doubt, he shared, that I would come out on top, because I'm a good person and the future is bright for me.

I almost cried.  And I almost hugged him.  Again, in a completely G-rated way.  He was so genuine that I almost asked him if he knew something that I didn't.

I'm so thankful for one "good thing" in having made the decision to get a personal trainer and that I got one that is concerned about my entire well being.  And is hot.  You knew I was going to say it.  I couldn't let you down.

P.S. Earlier today, my office moved from one floor to another.  During the shuffle, my coworker spotted a a wayward fortune from a cookie.  I usually save those if they're good, but keep them in my wallet.  Knowing it must have been mine from my desk or somewhere I'd stowed it before putting it in my wallet, I asked him what it said.  He started with explaining that it was a new fortune now since I didn't remember what it said and then read, "You will be in receipt of good things in the future."  I know...crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment